Click here to view my resume in .pdf format
Publication Specialist at U.S. Army Aberdeen Proving Ground (tronc/NextGen Federal Systems)
August 2017-present | Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland
– Pitch and write stories for APG News, the installation’s news service. Stories also appear in other Department of Defense publications.
– Produce photos and videos to accompany print and web stories.
– Edit and rewrite submitted content for publication.
– Assist with newspaper layout and design.
General Assignment Reporter at Baltimore Sun Media Group (tronc)
April 2016-August 2017 | Baltimore, Maryland
– Pitched and wrote stories about southwest Baltimore County for online, daily and weekly publications.
– Produced photos and videos to accompany print and web stories.
– Maintained active social media presence to promote content and establish personal brand.
Staff Writer at Delmarva Media Group (Gannett)
August 2011-April 2016 | Bethany Beach, Delaware
– Pitched and wrote feature and news stories for DelmarvaNow.com and several daily and weekly publications spanning Delaware and Maryland’s beach communities. Regular topics included food and drink, education, profiles of community members and organizations, the arts and town government.
– Produced photos, videos and infographics to accompany print and web stories.
– Produced longform stories for DMG’s website.
– Developed section ideas and content for recurring sections of DMG’s entertainment publication, Beachcomber.
– Used metrics to evaluate story performance and shape story ideas. Member of DMG’s analytics team.
– Maintained active presence on social media to promote content and help establish personal brand. Contributed to social media accounts for newspapers.
– Stories have been picked up nationwide, including by the Associated Press, USA Today, The Washington Post and The (Wilmington, Del.) News Journal on a regular basis.
– Took part in community outreach activities as a representative of the company.
Communications Intern at University of Delaware College of Education and Public Policy
June 2009-May 2010 | Newark, Delaware
Wrote news and feature articles about the college and its students and faculty for the college’s website and other university publications. Covered events. Arranged photo shoots. Updated the college’s website with new stories and content using the Drupal content management system. Wrote script for a video to promote the college’s Human Services major.
Public Relations Intern at Tipton Communications
February 2010-May 2010 | Newark, Delaware
Wrote and edited press releases, articles for employee newsletters and communications plans for clients. Constructed website wireframes and edited website copy and layouts. Maintained company’s jobs blog, compiled weekly media database reports and tracked social media hits for clients.
Intern at Leighton Communications
June 2009-August 2009 | Wilmington, Delaware
Wrote press releases and pitched stories to newspapers nationwide to help promote the 2009 Live Auction at MLB All-Star FanFest for Hunt Auctions.
Editorial Intern & Stringer at University of Delaware Office of Communications and Marketing
January 2009-May 2009 | Newark, Delaware
– Wrote news and feature stories for various university publications and websites. Contributed to university’s coverage of the inauguration of Vice President Joe Biden.
Staff Reporter at The Review
2008-2009 | Newark, Delaware
– Wrote news and feature stories for University of Delaware’s independent student newspaper.
Strong writing skills, news judgment and knowledge of AP Style. Proficient with HTML, blogging and content management systems, social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.), photography, iPhone video production, DSLR photography and video production, Omniture and Chartbeat metrics systems. Familiar with CSS, iMovie video editing and Adobe Photoshop.
University of Delaware | Newark, Delaware
Bachelor of Applied Arts in Communication, mass communication concentration
Minors: Journalism, English